Monday, May 12, 2008

Getting old

I got old tonight.

Tonight my oldest spent the night at my house. I love the times we have alone together. We get to relate one-on-one, almost like adults. I saw her as a person, a real person, like you, like me. I could imagine her as an adult, a woman, with kids of her own.

We played checkers, several times, and for the first time ever, she kicked my ass. I don't mean that she just kind of won because I wasn't paying attention, I mean we played three times, and she whopped me, but good.

There are times when I hate getting old, and there are times when I like it. In a strange way, this is one of the times I like it. I feel like my life, all in all, has been well spent. I could die now and be happy, I would have accomplished at least part of my mission, part of the reason I am alive. This is why people want to have kids, because they want to feel obligated, they want to feel like they have a reason to live.


So here is to getting old, to serving your purpose, to being human. To fulfilling the programming the universe had in store for you.

May you get old and happy.

No comments: